Sunday, May 02, 2010

Ram Tap Recap!
Izzy competed at her first event this weekend at Ram Tap in Fresno, Ca. Friday's dressage was better than I could ever have imagined. She was so relaxed and steady in all her gaits, gave me the best free walk to date, earning us several 8's in our test. We finished the dressage with a 33 to put us in 1st!
I was most worried about stadium, as Izzy has had very little arena jumping in her very short career. Leading up to the weekend we'd not even done a whole course. I was lucky enough to get some help from Heather Bailey (of Phoenix Farms) and she helped us both relax in the warm-up, giving Izzy lots of confidence. Once on course Izzy was all business. She never even looked at the fences! We had fence 3 down, got in a bit deep and I picked at her, taking her focus away. I should have just let her do her job :) The rail down dropped us to 3rd.
X-C came soon enough and Izzy happily galloped around the course like a champ. She thought nothing of the fences, went through the water bravely, and made the jumps all feel easy. The grin on my face could be seen for miles as I crossed the finished. I have finally brought along one of my own from birth to competition and couldn't be happier. Looking forward to a FUN summer of showing. I know Izzy will keep surprising me with how much she already knows.
- Meg

No comments: